Cooked chickpeas are blended and cooked with coconut milk and cream. You can guess how the taste would be. This dal is thick, creamy and full of aroma. I have adapted this recipe from Tarla Dalal’s Cookbook. You can also serve this dal as soup and enjoy with rice or roti.
- 1 cup white chickpeas (kabuli channa) – soaked overnight
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cream (malai)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 green chilies – finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp cardamom seeds powder
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Pressure cook channa with 2 cup water for 3-4 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Drain the water completely.
- Grind cooked channa in a mixer to coarse paste. Heat 2 tbsp oil/ghee in a pan or kadhai. Add asofoetida,cloves, cinnamon and cardamom seeds powder.
- Saute a while. Add chopped onions and green chilies. Cook for 2 mins. Add red chili powder. coriander powder and garam masala. Mix well and cook for few secs.
- Add channa puree and salt to taste. Coot it covered on low flame for 5 mins. Add coconut milk and cream.
- Cook it covered on low flame till the dal thickens. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice or any indian bread variety.