|Turai aur Moong ki Dal / Peerkangai Siru Paruppu Dal|
I always make south indian style kootu with ridge gourd but for a change, this time i tried this recipe from Tarla Dalal’s Cookbook. I totally loved this dal which is enriched with cumin flavor. I have also added vadagam but this is an optional ingredient. Ridge gourd is loaded with nutrition and it helps to reduce the fat and cholesterol. Its outer skin is also edible, yes you need not throw the peeled skin. You can prepare thogaiyal with its skin.
- 1 cup Siru Paruppu (split yellow gram / moong dal)
- 1 Ridge gourd (Peerkangai / Turai) – peeled & chopped
- 1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 2 green chilies – chopped
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp vadagam – optional
- 5-8 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Wash dal and pressure cook with 2 cup water for 3 whistles. Remove from the heat and once pressure settles, mash the dal and keep aside.
- Heat 2-3 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Tamper mustard seeds, curry leaves and vadagam. Add chopped onions and green chilies. Saute a while.
- Add grated ginger and cook for a minute on low flame. Add chopped ridge gourd and little salt. Add 1/4 cup water and cook on low flame for 2-5 mins.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and garam masala. Saute a while. Add asofoetida and mashed dal.
- Mix well everything. Add 11/2 cup water and salt to taste. Add more water if needed and cook it covered on low flame for 10 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice or roti.
Check out my other recipes,