|Achaari Murg (Chicken cooked with Pickling Spices)|
Achaari Murg is a delicious combination of all the pickling spices which are roasted, ground and cooked with chicken. Mustard oil gives a nice flavor to this curry. You can also substitute with any other cooking oil but the rich flavor comes from mustard oil only.
I made use of left over oil which was used to prepare Punjabi Mango Pickle and adjusted the quantity of ingredients for pickling spices.
For Curry :
- 300 gms Chicken
- 2 medium sized onions – finely chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes – finely chopped
- 1 cup curd / yogurt
- 1 green chili – slit at the end
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder – optional
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 4 tbsp mustard oil
To Roast & Grind :
- 4 dry red chilies
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 tsp onion seeds (kalonji)
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi dhana)
- Marinate chicken with little turmeric powder and keep aside for 10 mins. Wash the chicken and keep aside. Whisk curd well and add turmeric powder, red chili powder and garam masala. Whisk it again and keep aside.
- Dry roast red chilies, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, onion seeds and fenugreek seeds for few seconds. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Grind in a mixer to coarse powder and keep aside. Heat mustard oil in a pan or kadhai.
- Tamper cloves, bay leaf and nutmeg powder. Add chopped onions and fry for a minute. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Add chicken and spices powder. Saute a while.
- Add whisked curd and salt to taste. Cook it covered on low flame for 15-20 mins till oil separates and chicken is cooked. Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot with rice/pulao.