|Green Dal Fry|
I also added snake gourd to this dal. You can add any vegetable of your choice and try this. If you are not comfortable with coconut, then try to replace with cashew. I'm sure it would give rich taste.
For Dal/Curry :
- 1/2 cup toor dal (tovaram paruppu / split yellow pigeon peas)
- 1/2 cup yellow moong dal (siru paruppu / split yellow gram)
- 1 Snake Gourd / Podalanga (optional) - finely chopped
- asofoetida - a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 medium sized onion - chopped
- 4-5 green chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped coconut
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 cup chopped coriander
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Grind all the above mentioned ingredients under "To Grind" adding little water to smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Pressure cook toor and moong dal with 2 cup water for 3-4 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Mash the dal and keep aside. Heat 1-2 tsp oil in a cooker. Tamper mustard seeds and asofoetida.
- Add turmeric powder, chopped snake gourd and fry for few seconds. Add ground green paste and saute a while.
- Add mashed dal, salt to taste and 1 cup water. Close the lid and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice or any indian bread variety.