|Hyderabadi Chicken Curry|
Everybody will be aware of the famous Hyderabadi Cuisine. I like the rich flavor of spices in their recipes. When i tried Hyderabadi Chicken Biriyani, i just fell in love with its nice aroma of spices. I modified the base curry used to prepare biriyani and tried this delicious chicken curry.
The marinated chicken is cooked with freshly grounded paste and curd. You can try this curry masala with Egg or Mutton for a change. Well I'm sure planning to try this masala with mutton :)
To Marinate Chicken :
- 250 gms Chicken
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup curd/yogurt
- salt to taste
To Grind :
- 2 medium sized onions - chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 green cardamom
- 2 mace
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp black cumin seeds (shah-jeera)
- 3-4 black peppercorns
For Curry :
- 2 green chilies
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp black cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 mace
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander
- Marinate chicken with turmeric powder, curd and little salt. Keep it aside for 10 mins. Meanwhile, grind all the ingredients mentioned under "To Grind". Add 1-2 tbsp water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat 3-4 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Tamper mace, black cumin seeds and curry leaves. Add green chilies and saute a while on low flame.
- Add marinated chicken without the left over marination. Fry for 2 mins on low flame. Add grounded paste and cook for 2 mins.
- Add left over marination, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt to taste. Add 1 cup water and cook it covered on low flame for 15-20 mins.
- Add more water if needed. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice/pulao.
- Adjust red chili powder according to your taste. The chili powder which i used didn't give red color to the curry. You can try kashmiri red chili powder.
- I didnt add mint leaves while preparing this curry first time. Next time i tried with 1/4 cup mint leaves and it gave a different aroma. You can try that method too. Just add 1/4 cup chopped mint and 1/4 cup chopped coriander before adding marinated chicken.
Also dont forget to check out Hyderabadi Chicken Biriyani, Hyderabadi Bagara Baingan & Mutton Keema Samosa