|Punjabi Chole Masala – made with Fresh Masala|
Who will say no to Punjabi Food?? Well I’m not. Though their food is rich in ghee, I’m a die hard fan of punjabi food. Chole Masala and Aloo Batura are my favorite combination. You can also add potatoes here and serve with poori. I have always made channa curry with store bought channa masala. But this time for a change i tried with fresh grounded masala. Everyone would agree that homemade are always better than store bought. Adding tea bags while cooking channa is optional. But if you add tea bag channa will be dark in color. With all the available ingredients at home i tried this recipe from Badshah Channa Masala ingredients list.
To Grind :
- 3 dry red chilies
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp black cumin seeds (shah jeera)
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 2 green cardamom
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp pepper powder
For Curry :
- 1 cup white chickpeas (kabuli channa) – soaked overnight in water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp amchur (dry mango powder)
- 2 tsp kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tea bag – optional
- In a pressure cooker put in washed channa along with little salt and tea bag. Add 2 cup water and close the lid. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles on medium heat.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Once pressure settles, open the lid and drain the water and also discard the tea bag. Keep it aside.
- Take a pan or kadai and dry roast red chilies, poppy seeds, shah jeera, coriander seeds, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, star anise and cardamom for a minute on low flame. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Grind in a mixer along with cumin and pepper powder. Grind to a coarse powder. Keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai and tamper mustard seeds. Add asofoetida, chopped onions and fry till it turns golden brown. Add tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste. Saute a while.
- Add cooked channa and cook for a minute on low flame. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and grounded masala powder. Stir well and add 2 cup water. Cook it covered on low flame for 5 mins.
- Add amchur powder, kasoori methi and salt to taste. Mix well and cook it covered for 10-15 mins. Add little water if you need it to be little watery. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with roti or poori.