|Vetrilai Poondu Saadam / Betel Leaves & Garlic Rice|
Betel Leaves gives lot of healthy benefits to our body. In India, we use it on special occasions and also as an offering to god. This is what i knew before i saw this recipe at Reva’s Site. Few days back Uma shared this recipe on her blog and i decided to try it immediately. My husband was little bit hesitant before trying this rice. But then it has been included in our weekly menu. I’m sure most of us doesn’t know that we can prepare a lot of healthy recipes with this leaf. When i asked for 20 leaves in a shop, they asked whether there is any function in my home. I replied them that I’m going to use this to prepare rice. They were shocked. How could we use betel leaf to prepare rice?? This was the question on my mom face too 🙂 Thanks Reva and Uma for sharing this healthy herbal rice.
For Rice :
- 2 cup Basmati Rice – washed and soaked in water for 30 mins
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 10 curry leaves
- 3 betel leaves – stalk removed (Please make sure to use only mid range betel leaves)
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp gingelly oil
- 5-6 cup water + 1 tbsp water
For Masala :
- 1 inch dry turmeric stick
- 3 dry red chilies
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp dry ginger or 1/2 tsp dry ginger powder
To Prepare Masala :
- Dry roast dry turmeric stick, sesame seeds, broken red chilies, peppercorns and dry ginger for few seconds. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind in a mixer to coarse powder without adding water and keep aside.
To Prepare Rice :
- Cook Rice with 5-6 cup water & little salt on medium flame till it is done. Drain the water completely and fluff the rice with a fork. Spread it on a plate and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, heat gingelly oil in a kadai. Add fennel seeds, cinnamon, curry leaves and garlic flakes. Cook for a minute on medium flame.
- Add cooked rice and mix well. Add finely chopped betel leaves, ground masala and salt. Mix well with rice.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp water and close the lid. Cook it on low flame for 5 mins. Serve hot.