Once i had this bread halwa in a muslim wedding and was very much pleased with its heavenly taste. I wanted to try it at home and asked my mom’s friend for the exact recipe. I’m not sure if this is the traditional method of preparing bread halwa. Usually we prepare bread halwa using milk, but in this version it is prepared using sugar syrup. So this sweet is high in calories and not suitable for diet watchers 🙂 I had already posted Oats Bread Halwa using milk. Check this recipe for without using milk.
- 6 Bread Slices ( i used white bread)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla or rose essence
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds powder
- 1-2 tbsp finely chopped seedless dates – optional
- Ghee/Oil – for frying (i have used ghee)
- Dry Nuts – to garnish
- Remove the brown crust and cut bread slices into 4-5 pieces. Heat ghee / oil in a frying pan or kadai.
- Fry bread pieces till golden brown and remove from the heat. Keep it aside. Fry nuts in the same oil and keep it aside.
- Heat sugar and water in a pan or kadhai. When sugar reaches sticky consistency, add essence and cardamom seeds powder to it.
- Now add fried bread slices to it and press the pieces nicely in syrup. Cook it on low flame. Mash the pieces using ladle.
- Add chopped dates and fried nuts. Cook it for 5-8 mins till halwa leaves the sides of pan and also bread pieces are completely mashed.
- If the water is completely absorbed, then you can add little water in between while cooking so that bread pieces are completely mashed. Serve hot.