|Hyderabadi Mirchi ka Salan|
Mirchi ka Salan is a rich curry which contains large green chilies, peanut, sesame and tamarind. This dish comes under the famous Hyderabadi Cuisine. It is accompanied with Biriyani, Rice or Roti. You can also check Qabooli Biriyani with Curd Chutney, Hyderabadi Chicken Curry, Hyderabadi Bagara Baingan &Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biriyani.
- 4-5 Large Green Chilies (i have used Bajji Milagai) - make a slit at end and remove the seeds
- marble sized tamarind ball - soaked in water for 30 mins
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp jaggery or sugar
- salt to taste
- 4-5 tbsp gingelly oil or (you can use any vegetable oil or olive oil or canola oil)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
For Paste :
- 2 large onions - chopped
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds (til)
- 1 tsp poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
To Prepare Paste :
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and fry chopped onions till they turn golden brown and soft. Remove from the heat and keep it aside.
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, poppy seeds, peanuts and coconut for few seconds till they smell roasted.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind roasted onions along with roasted masala in a mixer to smooth paste. Add water if needed. Keep it aside.
To Prepare Curry :
- Take the Chilies and slit at the end. Remove the seeds carefully and keep it aside. Heat 4 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Fry chilies till they acquire a few golden brown spots. Remove from the oil and keep it aside.
- Tamper mustard seeds and curry leaves in the same oil. Add ginger-garlic paste and ground paste. Saute a while.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and jaggery. Stir well and add fried chilies. Add salt to taste and cook it covered on low flame for 2 mins. Add tamarind squeezed water. Cook for a min.
- Add 1 cup water and cook it covered till oil separates and gravy becomes little thick. If you want it to be watery then cook for 10 mins and remove from the heat. Serve hot with biriyani or rice.