|Paneer & Soya Chunks Biriyani|
Last weekend, we went for a short trip to Rameshwaram and had good time there. Back from a short vacation, i really feel lazy to cook and click. So I’m sharing the post from draft. To prepare this biriyani, i used all the masala and powder from scratch. Paneer cubes and Soya Chunks are cooked with all masala which gives a nice aroma. Enjoy it with onion raita and any veg/non-veg gravy.
For Biriyani :
- 3 cup basmati rice – soaked in water for 30 mins
- 10-12 Paneer cubes (cottage cheese)
- 10-12 Soya chunks (Meal Maker) – soaked in hot water for 15 mins
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander
- 2 small tomatoes – finely chopped
- 2 tbsp curd / yogurt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
To Grind :
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 medium sized onions – chopped
- 1 green chili – chopped
To Roast & Grind :
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamom
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dry ginger powder (sonth)
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- Soak soya chunks in hot water for 15 mins and then squeeze out the water completely. Cut chunks into two halves. Keep it aside.
- Dry Roast all the ingredients mentioned under (To Roast & Grind) for few seconds and allow to cool. Grind in a mixer to coarse powder. Keep it aside.
- Grind ginger-garlic paste, mint leaves, coriander leaves, onion and chili in a mixer adding 2 tbsp water to smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Heat 3-4 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add ground onion-mint paste and saute a while on low flame.
- Add tomatoes and mash the pulp. Now you can cook on medium flame. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and ground spices powder.
- Saute a while. Add curd and sprinkle little salt. Mix everything well. Add paneer cubes and soya chunks. Stir well and add 1/4 cup water. Cook it covered with a plate on low flame for 5-8 mins.
- Add 5 cup water (measure it accordingly) and let it boil. Once it starts boiling, add washed & drained rice to it.
- Add salt to taste and lemon juice. Mix well everything and close the lid. Pressure cook for 2 whistles and remove from the heat.
- Once the pressure settles down, remove the lid and fluff with fork. Serve it hot with raita.