|Pattani Masala (for Evening Snack)|
Pattani Masala is one of my favorite evening snack. Every Saturday my husband get it for me from a nearby tea shop and we enjoy it with Bonda. For a change, i tried this masala at home and it was too delicious. While taking photos, i couldn’t resist myself from taking one or two spoons of masala. If you like to have it as snack then make it little watery. As i served with roti, i made it little thick.
For Masala / Gravy :
- 1 cup pachai pattani (dry peas) – soaked overnight in water
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 2 green chilies – finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-6 curry leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander – to garnish
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions – to garnish
To Roast & Grind :
- 4-5 dry red chilies
- 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 4 cloves
- 1/4 cinnamon stick
- 1 green cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
To Fry & Grind :
- 2 medium sized onion – chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes- chopped
- Pressure cook pattani with 3 cup water for 3-4 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Do not drain the water. We will use this water to prepare gravy.
- Divide cooked pattani into two portions. Grind one portion to coarse paste and keep it aside.
- Dry roast all the ingredients mentioned under “Roast & Grind” for few seconds and allow to cool. Grind in a mixer to coarse powder. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Fry onion and tomatoes for 2 minutes on low flame. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind it along with the coarse powder to smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai. Tamper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add 2 tbsp chopped onion and saute a while.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while. Add ground paste and turmeric powder. Stir well and add ground peas paste.
- Saute a while. Add asofoetida, cooked peas along with water and salt to taste. Mix everything well. Add 1 cup water if needed and cook it covered on low heat for 10-15 mins.
- If you want it to watery, then adjust the amount of water. Garnish with coriander and chopped onions. Serve hot. You can also serve this masala with roti.