|Qabooli Biriyani with Curd Chutney|
Yesterday we a group of friends celebrated virtual b'day party of our blogger buddy Manjula. We all planned to prepare south indian Thali along with a dessert made from apple. As i could not prepare Thali on the given time, i made Apple Lapsi as a temporary solution.
Today i tried a simple Vegetarian Hyderabadi style Thali for Manju. I made Qabooli Biriyani, Mirchi ka Salan, Mushroom do Pyaaza and Curd Chutney. It was a lot for two people and i really enjoyed making all the recipes.
Manju, it was really difficult for me to prepare a pure vegetarian thali. I was thinking to include at-least boiled eggs in thali :)
I have adapted the recipe from "Hyderabadi Khaana" by Nita Mehta. Qabooli is a lentil biriyani made from split bengal gram or channa dal. The whole process of cooking was enjoyable as my house was filled with nice aroma of spices used. You can serve it with Bagara Baingan or Mirchi ka Salan. I shall share the recipe of Mirchi ka Salan and Mushroom do Pyaaza in coming days. Till then lets enjoy this aromatic Qabooli Biriyani :)
For Rice :
- 2 cup basmati rice - soaked in water for 20 mins
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- 7 cup water
For Biriyani Masala :
- 1/6 cup channa dal (kadala paruppu / split bengal gram)
- 2 big onions - finely sliced
- 1 cup whisked curd / yogurt
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup milk
- salt to taste
- 1 cinnamon
- 2 green cardamom
- 1/2 tsp black cumin seeds (shah jeera)
- 1/2 tsp peppercorn
- Cook channa dal with 2 cup water and turmeric powder for 10-15 mins on medium flame. Drain the water completely and keep it aside.
- Boil 7 cup water in a pan. Add drained rice to it and stir well. Add salt to taste and oil. Cook it on medium flame till rice is 3/4th cooked. It may take around 5 mins to cook. Remove from the heat and drain the water completely. Spread rice on a plate.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a pan or handi. Fry sliced onions till they turn golden brown and crispy. Remove half of the fried onion for later use.
- Add cinnamon, cardamom, black cumin seeds and peppercorns. Saute a while. Add ginger-garlic paste and mix well.
- Add cooked lentils and red chili powder. Saute a while. Add curd and salt to taste. Stir well and add lemon juice.
- Cook it covered on low flame till oil separates. Cook for approx 5 mins. Remove from the heat and transfer the masala to a bowl.
- Heat the same pan or handi on low flame on a tava. Spread a layer of lentil masala first. Spread a layer of rice over the masala.
- Pour in half of the milk and also sprinkle fried onions, mint and chopped coriander.
Spread another layer of lentil masala & rice. Pour in remaining milk and fried onions. Sprinkle some mint & coriander leaves too. Close it and cook on medium flame for 10 mins.
- Mix the biriyani with a slotted spoon and serve hot with curd chutney, mirch salan or bagara baigan.
Curd Chutney :
- 1/2 cup curd / yogurt
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder or 1-2 green chilies
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- Blend all the ingredients in a mixer to smooth paste. Add water if needed and serve with biriyani.