|Tomato & Channa Dal|
Tomato & Channa Dal is a healthy and easy to prepare curry where tomato dominates with its taste. Cute pearl like channa dal gives an additional boost to this curry. If you don’t have any vegetables at home, then this curry is the right choice for you.
- 1/4 cup Channa Dal (kadala paruppu / split bengal gram)
- 6 fully ripen tomatoes – finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Pressure cook channa dal with 1 cup water for 4-5 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Do not drain the water.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. Tamper mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and saute a while. Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and asofoetida. Stir well everything.
- Add cooked dal with water and salt to taste. Add 1/4 cup water if needed and cook it covered for 10 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice.