|Vegetable Dalia (Broken Wheat Porridge)|
Broken wheat is a good source of iron and more nutritious than rice. My father is a diabetic so his doctor prescribed to include oats and broken wheat in his diet. From then on we started to include this in our diet. I have been trying for some variations with daliya. I shall post it soon.
I prepared vegetable daliya few days back and served for dinner. It is simple to cook, very filling and also healthy. You can add any vegetables of your choice and cook.
- 1/2 cup Daliya (Bulgar / Broken Wheat / Godhumai Rava) – roasted
- 1 carrot – finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped beans
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp finely chopped green chili
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder – according to your taste
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Tamper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and green chilies. Saute a while.
- Add chopped vegetables and ginger-garlic paste. Cook for 2 mins on low flame. At the same time , cook daliya with 4-5 cup water in a pan for 5 mins. Add this to the vegetables.
- Add cumin powder, pepper powder and salt to taste. Add little water if needed and cook for 2 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.
- You can also pressure cook daliya along with other ingredients for 2-3 whistles. Adjust the amount of water and cook it.