|Besan Ladoo (Bengal Gram Flour / Kadalai Maavu Laddu)|
Among various varieties of ladoos, i like besan ladoo, rava ladoo and boondi ladoo. We can prepare ladoo with any combination of flours, dry nuts and sugar/jaggery.
Besan ladoo is made from bengal gram flour, ghee and sugar. If you are not interested to try it with store-bought gram flour, then you can dry roast bengal gram and grind it. Store it and use whenever needed.
Either you can roast the flour first and then add ghee to it or vice versa. This ladoo is rich in calories as we have used more ghee. But only if you add more ghee without counting on calories, you would be able to enjoy its aroma and taste.
- 2 cup Besan and 1/4 or 1/6 cup extra besan flour
- 3/4 cup ghee / clarified butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds powder
- coarse badam powder - optional (for coating)
- Melt ghee in a non stick pan or heavy bottomed kadai on medium flame. Add besan flour and switch to low flame.
- Once ghee is absorbed by the flour, it starts to appear in liquid consistency. Roast the flour on low flame for first 20 mins. Stir it frequently to avoid besan sticking to the bottom of pan.
- Add 1/4 cup of flour and keep stirring for next 5-10 mins. If still the flour is in liquid consistency, then add few more tbsp of flour and keep stirring. The overall cooking time will be around 30-35 mins. Keep cooking on low flame to avoid burning.
- Add cardamom seeds powder and stir well. Remove from the heat and add powdered sugar to the flour.
- Mix well and allow to cool for 5 mins. Make small balls of the dough and coat it with badam powder. Store in an airtight container.