|Carrot Upma Kozhukattai / Pidi Kozhukattai|
Upma Kozhukattai / Pidi Kozhukattai is one among the various kozhukattai varieties. You can serve this as breakfast or for evening snacks. It can be made with idli rava or broken wheat or fine rava. I have tried this with coarse rice flour which we use to prepare other kozhukattai varieties.
The flour which i used was not too coarse and not too fine. When you use these kind of flour, there are chances of lump formation. Be careful while stirring upma as you need to stir it fast to avoid lumps. The final outcome was soft kozhukattai with no grainy structure. We had this with onion-tomato chutney. For a healthier version, try this with Broken wheat rava / Dalia.
- 1 cup coarse rice flour
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 2-3 dry red chilies
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 3 cup water
- 1 tbsp gingelly oil / sesame seeds oil
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai. Tamper mustard seeds, dry chilies and curry leaves. Add grated carrot, chopped coriander and saute a while.
- Add water. Once it starts boiling, switch to low flame. Add salt and rice flour. Stir it frequently to avoid lumps. Switch off the flame and stir it with wooden ladle.
- Once we add rice flour, water will be absorbed quickly so stir quickly to prevent lumps. Grease your hands with little oil and make small balls. I got 17 pidi kozhukattai.
- Grease idli plates and place kozhukattai. Steam cook for 10 mins on medium flame. Remove from the heat and serve hot/cold with any chutney of your choice.