|Channa Dal / Kadalai Paruppu Sundal|
Today’s recipe is a very simple and healthy sundal variety. Channa dal is a good source of protein, low in fat and also good for diabetics. Channa dal sundal can be prepared in just few mins like we do to prepare other varieties. To prepare this sundal, my mom soaks channa dal for 1-2 hrs but i soak it overnight, which reduces cooking time and also makes it more soft.
- 1 cup Channa Dal (kadalai paruppu / bengal gram) – soaked overnight or for 1-2 hrs
- 2-3 tsp grated coconut / dessicated coconut – optional
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 dry red chilies
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal (ultham paruppu / black gram)
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander – optional
- Wash channa dal and soak in water overnight or at-least for 1-2 hrs. I soak it overnight to reduce cooking time. Drain the water completely.
- Pressure cook dal with turmeric powder and 2 cup water for 1-2 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow the pressure to settle.
- Drain the water. Heat 1-2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Tamper mustard seeds, urad dal, red chilies and curry leaves.
- Add cooked dal, asofoetida and salt to taste. Saute a while. Sprinkle grated coconut and stir fry for a minute on low flame. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot/cold.