|Payatham Paruppu Kozhukattai (Kozhukattai / Modakam with Green Gram Pooranam)|
As we all know there are various varieties of kozhukattai like sweet and savory versions. You can prepare any kind of stuffings for kozhukattai / modakam. You can try it with sesame seeds, bengal gram, coconut, peanuts, dal and jaggery. Although my most favorite one is with sesame seeds, but this time i tried with green gram stuffing.
I have already posted Payatham Paruppu Urundai which i learnt from my grandma. It is one of our favorite sweet. I tried the same stuffing for kozhukattai. You can have this stuffing as it is.
I’m not so good at kozhukattai outer mould shapes, so i always end up with round shapes. I tried to look for mould, but didn’t get it. Making round shapes saves lot of times and it looks like ladoo too 🙂 I’ m fond of ladoo so i have tried round shape kozhukattai. Lets check the recipe,
For Dough : (Makes 12 Balls)
- 11/2 cup rice flour / idiyappam flour
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp gingelly oil / sesame seeds oil
- 1 and 3/4 cup water
For Filling / Pooranam : (Makes 17 balls)
- 1 cup green gram (payatham paruppu / pachai payaru / moong dal)
- 1 cup grated jaggery
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds powder
To Prepare Pooranam :
- Dry roast green gram in a pan or kadai till nice aroma comes. Remove from the heat and let it cool for a minute.
- Pressure cook roasted green gram with 2-3 cup water for 5-6 whistles. Remove from the heat and once pressure settles, drain the water completely.
- Allow it to cool and grind cooked green gram in a mixer to coarse paste. Add grated jaggery and cardamom powder to it.
- Grind everything to smooth paste without adding water. Transfer it to a bowl. Make small lemon sized balls of the paste. Keep it aside. If you are making kozhukattai on the next day, then cover it and keep the balls in fridge.
To Prepare Kozhukattai :
- Heat 1 and 3/4 cup water, oil and little salt in a pan. Once it starts boiling, remove from the heat. Add this water to rice flour and mix with a wooden spoon or backside of ladle. Cover it and keep aside for 5 mins.
- Grease your palm with oil and make smooth dough. Cover the dough otherwise it will get dry.
- Make lemon sized balls of the dough. Take a ball and flatten it with the help of your fingers. Make it like a cup and place a pooranam ball inside the cup.
- Bring all the sides of cup together to form a ball. Similarly proceed with remaining dough. Make sure to grease your palm.
- Grease idli plates and place kozhukattai. Steam cook on medium flame for 10 mins. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 2 mins. Serve it hot/cold. We had left over pooranam balls and we had it as it is.