|Peanut / Verkadalai Sundal|
We south indians prepare sundal mostly during Vinayaga Chaturthi and Navrathri celebrations. I thought of to prepare sundal with different lentils / legumes. I had already shared few varieties. I try to avoid coconut in sundal since it reduces its shell life. And also my dietitian suggested me few months back to avoid coconut in sundal.
But the addition of coconut gives it an extra flavor. So you can either add or skip coconut. Similarly raw mango gives an extra kick to sundal 🙂 I like to add it but since mango season is gone, i’m not able to get the variety which i like the most.
Sundal always pushes me back to my memories when i used to travel in train for my work. 2-3 yrs back, a small cone of sundal would cost 2-3 rupees. But now it is 5 or 10 rupees i hope. While returning back to home after my work, i used to buy sundal and enjoy my 2 hrs travel by listening to songs on my mobile radio 🙂 (“Adhu oru azhagiya nilla kaalam” thats how i describe it to my husband) Those days i used to have it just for time-pass, but now it serves different purpose.
Peanuts are rich in Vitamin-E and also considered to have qualities like almonds have. I dont include peanuts much in my diet as i’m not so fond of it. But when i tasted recipes with peanut butter, i now have a special corner for this nuts. I have adapted the cooking method of peanuts from a tamil cookery book. The same tempering is done with all varieties of sundal. Lets check the recipe,
- 1 cup dry peanuts
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder or sambar powder or 3-4 dry red chilies
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal (black gram / ultham paruppu)
- 10 curry leaves
- Soak peanuts in water for 4-5 hrs or overnight. Pressure cook peanuts with 2-3 cup water for 3 whistles or you can cook in enough water for 20 mins on low flame.
- Drain the water completely and keep the cooked peanuts aside. Heat 1-2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Tamper mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Add cooked peanuts, turmeric powder, red chili powder, asofoetida and salt to taste. Cook on medium flame for 2 mins. Serve hot/cold.