|Poondu Palak Keerai Sadam / Garlic & Spinach Rice|
Today i’m sharing a healthy rice recipe. I have adapted the cooking method from Vetrilai Poondu Saadam (Betel Leaves & Garlic Rice). The fresh ground masala and spinach puree makes this rice more interesting. Instead of betel leaves, i have used palak keerai. This way of preparation gives a different taste to palak rice. You can use any vegetable oil or olive / canola oil if you doesn’t have gingelly oil. Lets check the recipe,
For Rice :
- 2 cup Basmati Rice – washed and soaked in water for 30 mins
- 1 cup spinach puree
- 2 garlic cloves- peeled
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp gingelly oil (sesame seeds oil / nalla ennai)
To Dry Roast & Grind :
- 1 inch dry turmeric stick
- 3 dry red chilies
- 1/2 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp dry ginger or 1/2 tsp dry ginger powder
- Dry roast dry turmeric stick, sesame seeds, broken red chilies, peppercorns and dry ginger for few seconds. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind in a mixer to coarse powder without adding water and keep aside.
- Cook Rice with 5-6 cup water & little salt on medium flame till it is done. Drain the water completely and fluff the rice with a fork. Spread it on a plate and allow to cool.
- Prepare spinach puree and keep it aside. Heat gingelly oil in a pan or kadhai. Tamper curry leaves and cumin seeds.
- Add garlic cloves and saute a while. Add prepared masala powder and spinach puree. Cook for a min on low flame.
- Add salt to taste and stir well. Add cooked rice and mix well with the paste. Cook on low flame for 2 mins and remove from the heat. Serve hot.