Roasted Gram Ladoo / Pottukadalai Ladoo, which is also known as Maa Ladoo in the areas of Tirunelveli and Tanjore. Maa Ladoo is a traditional sweet of tirunelveli which is prepared during wedding and also other festive occasions. We have a tradition of sending off bride to her in-laws place with lots n lots of ladoo. But at my side we prepare boondi ladoo.
One year back, i was not even sure how to prepare ladoo but later, one of my blogger friend swasthi gave me some tips and i started preparing ladoos of all varieties. But still i have not yet tried my hand with boondi ladoo which are my favorite. I hope i will try it this diwali.
Roasted Gram have lots of nutritional benefits. It is low in calories and rich in iron. Well these two points are enough for people who are in diet 🙂
I’m not sure about the traditional method of preparing maa ladoo as i do not belong to tirunelveli. So i referred a tamil cookery book and changed it according to my taste. In the original recipe, roasted gram are blended with sugar and then cooked with ghee. I wanted to cut off ghee part, so i skipped sugar and tried with jaggery. It made the balls too easy to handle.
How to prepare Pottukadalai Ladoo
- 1 cup roasted gram (pottu kadalai)
- 1 cup grated jaggery
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds powder
- Grind roasted gram in a mixer to smooth powder. Mix cardamom powder with it and keep aside.
- Combine water and grated jaggery in a pan or kadhai. Cook till jaggery completely melts. Remove from the heat and filter the jaggery syrup.
- Heat jaggery syrup again for a min on low flame. Remove from the heat and keep it aside.
- Add jaggery syrup to roasted gram flour and mix well. I had used only ½ cup of jaggery syrup. You can refrigerate the remaining syrup and use it later.
- Grease your palm and make round balls. The above measurement yields 7 small sized ladoo. You can double up the measurements according to your need.