Boondi Ladoo – Diwali Sweets, Today i’m very happy to share one of my fav sweet. Finally i made boondi ladoo for this diwali. I called my mom to home and both of us prepared around 50 ladoo. Diwali is never complete without Boondi Ladoo. Ghee fried boondi are always the best.
First time when i tried this ladoo, i followed all the exact measurements as prescribed by my mom. I was so happy in clicking one thread consistency of syrup that i forgot to switch off the flame and the syrup started crystallizing. Without knowing it, i added all fried boondi to it and got frustrated when i couldn’t form ladoo.
I could never forget this disaster which happened last month. Sometimes we are so busy in clicking which leads to recipe failure. This time i didn’t wanted to take risk and asked mom to come and help. But still i couldn’t take exact step-by-step clicks of sugar syrup. The below mentioned quantities will give around 50 ladoo. Adjust it according to your need.
- 5 cup Gram Flour (Besan / Kadalai Maavu)
- water, as needed to form batter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 tbsp rice flour
- one tbsp cardamom seeds powder
- ¼ cup cashewnuts
- ¼ cup raisin
- edible orange color – a pinch
- Oil / Ghee – for frying
- For Sugar Syrup :
- 6 cup sugar
- 3 cup water
- Please check below for the instructions.
How to prepare Boondi Ladoo
- Sieve besan flour. Combine besan, rice flour, baking powder and orange color in a mixing bowl. Add enough water to make it like dosa batter. It should not be too thick and too watery. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed kadai. Switch the flame to medium. Take a boondi ladle or normal ladle with small holes and hold on top of the oil at a distance.
- Take a ladle full of batter and pour on the boondi ladle. Tap it with a spoon. Deep fry boondi till it is half done (not crispy but soft) and take out from oil. Proceed with the remaining batter and keep boondi aside.
- Heat sugar and water in a pan. Once sugar is completely dissolved, switch to medium flame. When the syrup boils for first time, it will be sticky.
- After 2nd boil check its consistency. It should be half string consistency (When a drop of syrup is tested between your thumb and forefinger, a string will form but it will cut off immediately.) If that stage is not reached, then wait for few seconds and check it again. The whole process may take around 5-10 mins.
- Once half string consistency stage is reached, then immediately switch off the flame and add cardamom powder to syrup. Deep fry dry fruits and mix with the syrup.
- Grind half of the fried boondi till it is coarse and mix with sugar syrup. And also add remaining half of the fried boondi. Mix well everything and keep aside for half an hour to 1 hour until it is easy to form ladoo.
- Grease your palm with little ghee and make lemon sized ladoo. Store ladoo in an airtight container and serve.
- Always prepare ladoo with fresh store bought gram flour as it gives good results.
- To prepare boondi batter, add water little by little. I referred vahchef site in which he has given very useful tips, how to prepare perfect boondi. If you add more water, then boondi will not be perfectly shaped and it will go flat. If you add less water and the batter is too thick, then tails will be formed. Just make sure to add enough water to get dosa batter like consistency.
- Once you prepare the batter, take a spoonful of batter and pour on boondi ladle. The droplets should fall off immediately. If the oil is in correct heat, then droplets will come up soon. And if the oil is not too hot, then droplets will settle at the bottom and form soggy like structure.
- When you fry first batch of boondi, then wipe off the boondi ladle and use it for next batch. Wiping it regularly will make the droplets easy to fall over oil.
- Always add fried boondi to hot syrup. If the sugar crystallizes, then ladoo cannot be made. (got this tip from a cookbook)
- To check the sugar syrup consistency, you can pour some drops of syrup in a bowl of water. The syrup will not dissolve in water and form strings.
- Even after one hour of soaking, if there are sugar syrup left at the bottom of ladoo mixture, then immediately prepare boondi and grind it in mixer. Add this to boondi mixture and mix well. Adjust it accordingly.