|Fried Moong Dal / Siru Paruppu (Haldiram Style Namkeen)|
Fried Moong Dal / Siru Paruppu, those who like Namkeen might be aware of Haldiram’s Moong dal. I’m not a big fan of fried moong dal. Though it is rich in protein, i always prefer semi-spicy snacks to munch while watching tv or during travel. My mom sometimes add this fried moong dal to mixture along with other dal. This recipe is easy to follow, but make sure oil is at correct heat otherwise dal will turn hard and not crispy. My husband gave me a good compliment as it tastes similar to Haldiram’s Moong dal. So why to spend money when you can prepare this at home itself 🙂 Friends, do send me your feedback & photos of the recipe if you tried from my blog. Don’t forget to check the compilation of 70 plus Diwali Sweets & Savories Recipes.
How to prepare Haldiram style Moong Dal Namkeen
- 1 cup siru paruppu (split yellow gram / moong dal)
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- vegetable oil / canola oil – for deep frying
- Please check the instructions below.
Fried Moong Dal Recipe with step by step photos
- Wash dal and soak in water for 3-4 hrs. Drain the water completely and spread dal on kitchen towel and allow to dry.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a heavy bottomed kadai or pan. To check the oil, drop a dal and if it comes up quick then your oil is ready for frying.
- Keep it on low-medium flame while frying otherwise dal will change its color to dark brown and absorb lot of oil. Switch the flame to low when you remove dal from oil. Before frying next batch, switch back to low-medium flame.
- Fry dal in batches till the oil sizzling sound stops (may take around 2 mins). Remove from the oil once they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Drain the dal in tissue paper to absorb oil. Let it cool for sometime. Sprinkle asofoetida and salt. Mix well everything and store in an airtight container.