|Porulvalanga / Porivilangai Urundai (Multi-grain Ladoo)|
Kids of this generation may not be aware of this authentic south indian sweet. Why this generation alone, even my husband who hails from a small village was not aware until i told him. These ladoo are hard to break. Sometime you need a pestle to break it. I was able to break it with my teeth 🙂
- 1 cup parboiled rice (Puzhungal Arisi)
- ½ cup bengal gram (channa dal / kadala paruppu)
- ½ cup peanuts
- 1 tbsp almonds
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 cup grated jaggery
- ¾ cup water
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Multigrain Ladoo
Preparing Grains Powder :
- Dry roast rice in a pan or kadhai on low-medium flame. Since each ingredients take their own time to roast, we are going to roast them separately.
- For me it took around 3-5 mins to roast rice. Roast it till it turns light brown. Remove from the heat.
- Dry roast almonds and peanuts together which may take around 2 mins for uniform browning. Remove from the heat. Similarly roast channa dal for a min on low medium flame. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Remove skin from peanuts.
- Grind everything together in a mixer to coarse or smooth powder. I wanted it to be little coarse but you can grind it till smooth. Add cardamom powder and mix well. Keep it aside.
Preparing Jaggery Syrup (Vellam Paagu) :
- Heat jaggery and water in a pan or kadhai. Always heat it on low-medium flame otherwise the syrup will start thickening before jaggery gets dissolved completely.
- Once jaggery is dissolved, strain it and heat again on low-medium flame.
- Keep a bowl of water ready to test the consistency. We need soft ball consistency to prepare this ladoo. Keep on stirring the syrup and add few drops of syrup in water to check the consistency.
- If it completely dissolves like shown in the image above, then you have to continue boiling. If the syrup gets settled at the bottom and you can roll it into small ball with the help of finger, then your syrup is ready. Switch off immediately.
- Even if you switch it off, the syrup will start turning hard. Now you need to be very quick in preparing ladoo. Don’t even care if it is hot.
To Prepare Ladoo :
- Take a ladle with syrup and pour in to mix with the prepared grains powder.
- With the help of wooden spoon or ladle, mix it frequently. Grease your palm with oil and start making ladoo.
- If the mixture turns hard to bind, then add a tbsp of syrup to adjust it. And if the syrup turns hard, add little water and heat till it turns soft and use.
- If you have left over syrup, then keep it in refrigerator and use it later for future use. Store ladoo in an airtight container and serve.