|Sago & Green Gram Khichdi (Javvarisi Payatham Paruppu Khichdi)|
Today i'm sharing an interesting and healthy khichdi recipe. Sago and Green Gram Dal makes an excellent combination. Usually i try this khichdi with nylon sago variety which is our family fav. For a change i tried it with large pearl variety, but my husband didn't liked those big sized pearls which were chewy too. Otherwise i was comfortable with this healthy khichdi. I had previously shared Sago Upma which also makes a filling snack/breakfast.
- 1 cup Sago - washed & soaked overnight or for 4-5 hours
- 1/2 cup green gram dal (payatham paruppu / pasi paruppu / moong dal) - soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 medium sized onion - finely sliced
- 2 green chilies - finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- asofoetida- a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal (ultham paruppu / black gram)
- 1 tsp channa dal (kadala paruppu / bengal gram)
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
To Cook Sago :
- Wash and soak sago in water for 4-5 hrs or overnight. Soak in enough water to cover its top. If the water gets absorbed, then add little more water. I soaked it overnight.
- But next day, most of the sago were still dry so i cooked sago in enough water with 1 tbsp oil for 2 mins on low flame. Then drain the water completely through strainer and spread sago on a plate. Let it cool for sometime. Then sprinkle 1-2 tbsp rice flour and mix with sago so that the grains separate. Keep sago aside.
To Prepare Upma :
- Pressure cook green gram dal with 1 cup water for 2 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Drain the water completely and keep the cooked dal aside.
- Grind roasted peanuts in a mixer or just crush to coarse powder using mortal & pestle. Keep it aside.
- Grease the inner walls of pan or kadhai with little oil and heat 1 tbsp oil. Tamper mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal.
- Add chopped onions, curry leaves and green chilies. Saute a while. Add cooked green gram dal and turmeric powder. Saute a while.
- Add ground peanuts. Saute a while. Add cooked sago and salt to taste. Add little oil in between cooking if needed. Mix everything well and garnish with chopped coriander.
- Cook for 2 mins on low flame and remove from the heat. At the time of serving, sprinkle lemon juice and serve hot/cold.
- If you are using large pearls, then cook it in water for 5-8 mins on low flame. Drain the water completely and spread on a plate.
- The cooked dal should not be mashy. Make sure to pressure cook for 2 whistles and remove from the flame.
- You can also add potatoes along with dal. It is optional.