|Soya Beans & Paneer Bhurji Pulao|
Serves : 3
Preparation time : 30 mins + soaking time needed for soya beans
Cooking time : 30 mins
To Prepare Pulao Masala :
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 mace – optional
To Prepare Cashew Paste :
- 4 kaju (cashewnuts)
- 1/4 cup water
To Prepare Pulao :
- 2 cup basmati rice – soaked in water for 20 mins
- 1/2 cup crumbled paneer – homemade or store bought
- 1/4 cup soya beans – soaked overnight
- 1 carrot- finely chopped
- 1 potato – finely sliced
- 2 medium sized onions – finely chopped
- 1 small tomato – diced into cubes
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander
- 1 green chili
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
To Prepare Pulao Masala & Cashew Paste :
- Dry roast all the ingredients mentioned under “Pulao Masala” for few seconds till nice aroma comes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind it in a mixer to coarse powder. Keep it aside.
- Soak cashews in water for 20 mins. Grind cashews along with water and keep aside.
To Prepare Pulao :
- Pressure cook soya beans along with 1/2 cup water for 3-4 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Drain the water completely and reserve that water for later use.
- Heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a pan or handi. Fry onions for a minute on medium flame. Add green chilies and tomatoes. Saute a while.
- Add mint and coriander leaves. Saute a while. Add ginger-garlic paste and stir well.
- Add chopped carrot, potato and cooked soya beans. Cook for a minute on low flame. Add crumbled paneer, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala and pulao masala.
- Mix well everything and add cashew paste along with the reserved dal cooked water. Stir well everything and close the lid. Let it cook on low flame for 5 mins.
- Add required amount of water ( 1 cup rice : 2 cup water). I added 3 cup water since we have already added cashew paste water and dal cooked water. So measure accordingly.
- Once it starts boiling, add rice and salt to taste. Mix well everything and close the lid. Cook it on medium flame for 10-15 mins. Serve hot with any veg/non-veg gravy.
- You can substitute soya beans with white chickpeas (kabuli channa) , green chickpeas or rajma (kidney beans).
- Try using badam (almond) paste or coconut milk instead of cashewnuts.
- Adjust the amount of spice as i have used only 1 green chili and 1/4 tsp of red chili powder. The pulao was not spicy.
- You can prepare Pulao Masala in advance and store it in an airtight container for later use.
- Try the same pulao with raw rice (pachai arisi) instead of basmati rice.
- For a vegan version, substitute paneer(cottage cheese) with Tofu.