Beetroot Dates Halwa is filled with the richness of beets, dates & fresh homemade mawa. Whenever i make mawa at home, i reserve some to prepare Halwa. I tasted this combo of Rava/Semolina and Mawa in my Parents 25th Wedding Anniversary function. That was the first time i was introduced to this combo. I made quick note of the recipe and tried it many times. Lets check the recipe,
Beetroot Dates Halwa - Using Mawa / Khoa
Halwa filled with the richness of beets, dates & fresh homemade mawa.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2 medium sized beetroot – grated
- 15-20 seedless dates – finely chopped (or) 4-5 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup Mawa / Khoya / Khoa – homemade or store-bought (optional)
- 1 and ½ cup boiled milk
- 2-3 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Beetroot Dates Halwa
- Peel the skin of beetroot and grate it. Keep it aside. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan or kadhai. Add grated beets to it and stir fry till all the moisture is absorbed (may take around 3-5 mins on medium-low flame).
- Add boiled milk & chopped dates to it and cook beets for 15-20 mins till that raw smell goes off. Scrape the sides of pan and stir it occasionally. Make sure the bottom doesn’t get burnt. Add cardamom seeds powder and stir well.
- Add grated mawa & cook for another 10 mins. Now, Add 1 tbsp ghee in between while stirring. Remove halwa from heat once it starts leaving the sides of the pan. Serve hot or cold.
- If refrigerated, you can use this halwa for 2-3 days. Before serving, keep it outside at room temp for 10-15 mins and serve.
- You can also try this halwa with carrot, white pumpkin, or a combination of carrot & beetroot.
- I have not added dry fruits. If you want to add, then roast raisins & cashews in ghee and add to the halwa before serving. It will give crunchy taste.
- If you want to dissolve dates completely, then soak dates in warm milk for 20 mins and then use it.
- Adding Mawa is optional. You can replace it by condensed milk.