Christmas Fruit Cake / Plum Cake (No Alcohol Version), I’m always fond of Plum Cakes which we get in local bakery. Till last year, i was using either Stove top Cake oven or Pressure Cooker to prepare Christmas Cakes. So for this Christmas, i decided to give a try as i got my own OTG now.
Christmas Cake using Alcohol is in my to-do list, but before that i wanted to try this non-alcoholic version. I referred Cakes & Bakes Book (Sanjeev Kapoor) and also got few tips from this site. My house was filled with the aroma of Plum Cake and hubby dear liked it very much as its taste was equivalent to what we get in bakeries. The cake was soft and moist. I made one cake loaf and two small sized cakes with the given measurement. According to the original recipe mentioned in book, you can make 8-inch cake with this measurement. If you are looking for more number of Christmas recipes, then do check Rum Raisin Cake, No Soak Christmas Cake, Mawa Cake, Rum Soaked Fruits Cake, Eggless Christmas Fruit and Nuts Cake, Rava Fruit Cake & Rum Choco Balls. Lets check the recipe,
Christmas Fruit Cake | Plum Cake
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Dessert
- To Soak :
- 1 cup Apple juice
- 1 and ½ cup dry fruits and nuts (combination of raisin, dark raisin, seedless dates, pitted prunes, glazed cherries, tutti frutti, almonds, cashewnuts and walnut)
- one tbsp Orange zest
- 1 tbsp Orange marmalade (optional)
- For Cake Batter :
- 1 and ½ cup maida (all purpose flour)
- 2 large eggs, at room temp
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 and ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, at room temp
- ¼ cup olive oil / vegetable oil / canola oil
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Plum Cake
For Soaking :
- Finely chop all the dry fruits and nuts and mix with orange zest and marmalade. Take a jar or wide glass bowl. Combine apple juice & fruits and nuts mixture.
- Make sure that all the fruits are soaked well in juice, otherwise add little apple juice and mix well. Cover it well and keep it in refrigerator if you want to soak for longer time. If you are going to use it next day, then keep the bowl at room temp. I let it soak for 2 days in refrigerator.
Preparing Cake :
- Beat butter using hand whisk or electric beater till smooth and creamy. Add brown sugar and honey. Beat it again till smooth.
- Add one egg at a time and beat it again. Now, Add vegetable / olive oil and beat it. Keep it aside.
- Sieve maida, salt, baking powder and cinnamon powder. Add flour mixture to wet mixture slowly and combine well with spatula. Finally add soaked fruits and nuts. And just fold it. Dont over-mix the batter.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C for 10 mins. Pour this batter into the greased cake tin and bake for 40-50 mins or till a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Take out the cake from oven and let it cool completely. Serve it immediately or slice it and store in an airtight container.
- I have used half butter and half vegetable oil to prepare batter. You can either use 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup oil.
- For non-alcoholic version, you can use apple juice, orange juice, grape juice or combination of apple & orange, vice-versa. For alcoholic version, try with rum or brandy. The taste will differ for both, but not too much difference.
- To skip caramel syrup part, i have used half the amount of brown sugar and honey.
- You can get Orange Marmalade, Pitted Prunes and Orange Zest in any Supermarkets. I got these in Santosh supermarket.
Check out my other Cake Recipes which you can try for Christmas & New-Year,
- Honey Cake (Egg-less & Butter-less)
- Lemon Sponge Cake (Egg-less & Butter-less)
- Strawberry Cake using Pressure Cooker
- Bundt Fruit Cake
- Carrot Cake – Using Cake Oven