|Ellu Puli Saadam / Sesame Seeds & Tamarind Rice – Easy Lunch Box Recipes|
Today i’m sharing a very flavorful rice / pulao preparation, in which the tamarind and sesame seeds paste is mixed well with the cooked rice. Adding more gingelly oil will boost its aroma. This can be made during those lazy weekends or can be packed for lunch box. I made it today and served with Avarakkai Peanut Podi Fry. Lets check the recipe,
Preparation time : 15 mins
Cooking time : 30 mins
Recipe Source : Hyderabad Khaana Cookbook by Nita Mehta
- 1 and 1/2 cup Basmati Rice or Raw Rice (washed & soaked for 10 mins)
- lemon sized tamarind ball (or) 50 gms tamarind – soaked in 1 cup hot water for 15 mins
- 3 tbsp black sesame seeds – roasted
- 1 medium sized onion – finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp gingelly oil / sesame seeds oil (or any vegetable oil)
- Wash & Soak rice in water for 10 mins. Boil 5-6 cup water and add drained rice to it. Add 1 tsp oil and little salt to it. Mix everything well and cook rice till it is 3/4 th cooked (which may take around 7-8 mins depending on the vessel you use to cook rice). Drain the water completely and spread rice on a plate. Let it cool.
- Squeeze tamarind pulp and extract the water. Keep it aside. Heat oil in a wide pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and fry for a min.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and tamarind water. Cook it covered on medium-low flame for 2-3 mins.
- Add roasted sesame seeds and salt to taste. Cook it covered for another 3-5 mins till tamarind water becomes thick.
- Add cooked rice to it and mix well with the paste. Sprinkle 1 tsp water and cook it covered for 3-5 mins on low flame. Serve hot with pickle, appalam or any veg poriyal.
- You can also add roasted peanuts to it.
- I have added only 2 tbsp gingelly oil but you can add more if you want it to be more aromatic. For better results, try it with gingelly oil (nalla ennai).
- You can skip red chili powder and add 3-4 dry red chilies along with other tempering ingredients.