|Pal Payasam / Rice Kheer (Rice & Milk Pudding)|
Pal Payasam / Rice Kheer doesn’t need any introduction as it is a common variety of payasam which is prepared for every occasion. In traditional method, milk and rice is cooked together for a long time. Every Indian state has got its own version and style of cooking. But i always prepare this with cooked rice which saves lot of time. I like to serve it cold on the next day. You can use dry fruits and saffron for garnishing. Lets check the recipe,
Overall time : 30 mins
- 500 ml Milk
- 1 cup cooked rice (basmati rice / raw rice) – i have used ponni boiled rice
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 cup sugar (or) condensed milk
- 2 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- cashews and raisins – to garnish
- saffron – a pinch (optional)
- Boil Milk in a pan on medium-low flame which may take around 8-10 mins. Once it boils, let it cook till milk reduces to 3/4 of its volume. Scrape the sides of pan with spoon and stir milk once after every 3 mins.
- For me it took around 10 mins. Add cardamom powder and stir well. Add cooked rice and sugar to milk.
- Stir well everything and let it cook for another 10-15 mins till milk thickens. Meanwhile, roast nuts and raisin in 2 tbsp ghee.
- Add this to payasam before removing from heat and mix well everything. Switch off the flame and let it cool for sometime. Serve hot or cold. I kept it in refrigerator and served on the next day.
- I have used left over cooked puzhungal arisi to prepare payasam. You can also add uncooked rice to milk and let the rice cook on low flame which takes longer time than this method. Or you can also pressure cook the same.
- Instead of sugar or condensed milk, you can try this payasam with jaggery or karupatti vellam (palm jaggery).
- For vegan version, replace milk with coconut milk. And roast nuts in oil.