Health Mix Powder / Multi-Grain Powder / Sattu Maavu, a healthy and nutritious powder which can be given to all age group people. I dont think you can give this to a new born, but yes it can be given to kids aged above 1 year. It was my long time wish to prepare Sattu Maavu at home as it is one of my fav Morning Drink.
Recently i bought 2-3 tamil cookbooks on Kongu Style cooking from Book Fair, and i was all excited when i saw this recipe in one of those books. I have altered the ingredients used in original recipe and added one or two extra. This Powder can be prepared with any combination of below mentioned ingredients. Until yesterday, i made health mix drink with Store-bought Powder but from now on i’m going to enjoy this aromatic drink with homemade flour. I have also shared Peanut Ladoo recipe made with health mix powder. Lets move on to the recipe,
Homemade Health Mix Powder & Porridge | Sattu Maavu Kanji
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Basics
Cuisine: south indian
Serves: ½ kg flour
- ½ cup Ragi (Finger Millet)
- ½ cup Bajra (Kambu / Pearl Millet)
- ¼ cup Barley (Valkothumai)
- 2 tbsp Wheat Berries (or) Broken Wheat
- 2 tbsp Oats
- ¼ cup Green Gram (Payatham Paruppu / Moong Dal)
- 2 tbsp Brown Rice (or) Parboiled Rice
- 2 tbsp Sago (Javvarisi / Sabu dhana)
- ½ cup Corn
- 2 tbsp Pottu kadalai (Chutney Gram / Roasted Gram)
- 2 tbsp Almonds
- 4-5 Green Cardamom
- 2 tbsp Cashews
- 2 tbsp Peanuts
- 1inch Sukku / Dry Ginger
- Sugar & Salt – according to your need
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Sattu Maavu Kanji
- Clean Ragi, Bajra, Wheat Berries and Barley from any dust or stone. Dry roast all the ingredients separately except sugar and salt.
- Each ingredient takes its own time to roast. Make sure to not burn. Roast it on low flame till nice aroma comes. The overall time for roasting was 10-15 mins. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Combine all the ingredients including sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Once it is completely cool, grind it in a mixie till smooth powder. You can use mixie for small quantity, but for large quantity it would be better to grind in a mill.
- Allow the powder to cool down completely and then store it in an airtight container.
Sattu Maavu Kanji / Porridge :
Overall time : 10-15 mins
- 2 tbsp Sattu Maavu / Health Mix Powder
- 3 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Boiled Milk – optional
- Sugar or Salt – according to your need
- Mix health mix powder with 1/4 cup water and dissolve it completely. Keep it aside.
- Heat remaining water in a pan and once it starts boiling, add dissolved powder to it. Stir well on low heat.
- Add sugar or salt and mix well everything. Let it boil for 2 mins. Add milk and cook again for 2 mins. Remove from the heat and serve hot / cold.