Happy Birthday Nalini 🙂
We a group of friends are celebrating virtual birthday of blogger friend Nalini who blogs at Nalini’s Cooking. I came to know about her via Facebook and we got a chance to meet once in T.Nagar. We had lots of fun doing shopping and eating. I chose her “Aval Upma” recipe for celebrating virtual birthday party. Aval Upma is very easy to prepare and can be made in less than 10 mins. It is very light and can be prepared for your evening snacks too. Lets check the recipe,
Preparation time : 5 mins
Cooking time : 5 mins
Recipe source : Nalini’s Cooking
- 3 cup Aval / Poha / Flattened Rice Flakes
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 dry red chilies – optional
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp ultham paruppu (urad dal / black gram)
- 1 tbsp kadala paruppu (channa dal / bengal gram)
- 5-7 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Wash and soak aval in enough water for 2-3 mins. Squeeze the water from aval and keep it aside.
Heat 1 or 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds. Add channa dal, urad dal and curry leaves. Saute a while.
- Add peanuts and saute a while. Add aval and stir well. Add pepper powder, cumin powder and salt to taste. Mix well everything and sprinkle 2 tbsp oil.
- Cook it covered on low flame for 2 mins and garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot.
- You can also avoid pepper and cumin powder. Add 2 tbsp chopped onion and 1 green chili. All other steps are same.