|Sweet Lime & Coconut Cake (Egg-less & Butter-less) / Mosambi Cake|
Sweet Lime & Coconut Sponge Cake, an egg-less & butter-less cake which is not only sweet and sour in taste but also very soft and moist. Though we have used only small amount of lime juice, the entire cake is filled with the heaviness of Mosambi / Sweet Lime and mild crunchiness of Coconut Flakes. I have referred my Lemon Sponge Cake for the measurements and did slight alterations. Although both are somewhat same in their ingredients list, but the taste differs. Lets move on to the recipe,
Makes 8-inch round cake
Preparation time : 5-10 mins
Baking time : 25-30 mins
Oven temperature : 180 degree C
- 1 and 3/4 cup maida (all purpose flour)
- 1/4 cup dry coconut flakes – unsweetened
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 and 1/4 cup curd / yogurt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- grated rind of 1 sweet lime
- 1/4 cup Sweet Lime Juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or) canola oil (or) olive oil, more if needed
- Dry roast coconut flakes till it leaves nice aroma on low flame. Make sure to not burn it. It will take only few seconds to roast. Remove form the heat and allow to cool.
- Combine curd (also its watery part) and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl and beat it using hand blender or whisk. Add lemon rind, lemon juice and vegetable oil. Blend it again. Keep it aside.
- Sieve maida, baking powder and baking soda. Combine roasted coconut flakes with this dry mixture and add this to wet mixture. Mix everything well.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C for 10 mins. Take a greased loaf pan/cake pan. Fill it with cake batter. Keep the pan in oven and bake at 180 degrees C for 25-30 mins. Check the cake by inserting a toothpick at the center. It should come out clean.
- Remove pan from the oven. Let it rest for 2 mins. Transfer the cake carefully to the cooling rack and let it cool down completely. Slice the cake and serve.
- Always include the watery part of curd. If you do not want it too sour, then try to use fresh curd.