|Sweet Potato Pudding / Shakarkand Halwa / Sakkaravalli Kizhangu Halwa|
Shakarkand / Sakkaravalli Kizhangu Halwa, a healthy dessert with the richness of sweet potatoes. Sweet Potatoes are highly nutritious. I never made anything with this vegetable except for boiling it. I saw this recipe in a cookbook and decided to try for this special day (Valentines Day). And dont forget to check out 15 varieties of Halwa Recipes. Lets check the recipe,
Overall time (Preparation & Cooking time) : 20-25 mins
- 3 Sweet Potato (Shakarkand / Sakkaravalli Kizhangu)
- 1/2 cup sugar – according to your need
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp ghee/clarified butter (or) oil
- cashews & raisins – to garnish
- Pressure cook sweet potato with enough water for 3-4 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Drain the water completely. Remove the skin and mash potatoes. Check its sweetness and correct the amount of sugar you need to add.
- Heat ghee / oil in a non-stick pan or kadhai. Roast cashews and raisins till it turns golden brown. Remove from the heat.
- Add mashed potatoes to the same ghee/oil. Stir well on low flame for 2 mins. Add milk to it and mix well everything.
- Cook on low flame for a min. Add cardamom powder and sugar. Cook on low-medium flame for 8-10 mins till halwa starts leaving the sides of pan. Garnish with roasted nuts and raisins. Serve hot.
- You can also cook this halwa without adding milk.
- Always check the sweetness of potatoes before adding sugar.