Varagu Arisi Sambar Sadam, a healthy one pot meal in which kodo millet, dal and vegetables are cooked together to gruel consistency. It is similar to BisibelaBath but i have not used bisibelabath powder, instead i have added homemade Sambar Powder.
You can replace Varagarisi with any other Millet like Samai, Thinai or Kuthiraivali. I have used Raw Mango here, but you can replace it with tamarind pulp. A slight touch of ghee / clarified butter will make it more delicious. So for tempering, try replacing oil with ghee if it is not a big issue for you.
The whole process is very simple and with the use of pressure cooker, it makes your work easier. You can also precook varagarisi and combine together with mashed dal and vegetables.
Varagu Arisi Sambar Sadam Recipe Card
Varagu Arisi Sambar Sadam - Millet Recipes
a healthy one pot meal in which kodo millet, dal and vegetables are cooked together to gruel consistency.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: south indian
- ½ cup Varagu Arisi / Kodo Millet – soaked in water for 20 mins
- ½ cup toor dal / tuvaram paruppu / split pigeon peas
- 1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 1 tomato – chopped
- 2-3 garlic flakes
- 1-2 cup chopped vegetables (1 drumstick, ½ raw mango, 2 carrots, 2 brinjal, 5-6 beans, 1 potato, 2 radish)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp sambar powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Pressure cook toor dal, tomato and garlic flakes with 1 cup water for 2 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Mash the dal mixture. Add chopped vegetables, turmeric powder, sambar powder, asofoetida and salt to taste.
- Mix well everything. Add washed and drained kodo millet. Finally add 3 or 4 cup water. Mix well and close the lid. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. Remove from the heat.
- Heat 1 or 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Now, Add chopped onions and fry for a min.
- Add Dal-rice mixture and cook for a min. If it is too watery, then cook till it reaches gruel consistency. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with pickle and appalam.