Coconut Jaggery Ladoo / Nariyal Gur Laddu, an easy and healthy version of Coconut Ladoo which is also Vegan. Do try this ladoo instead of regular Sugar version. I’m not a big fan of Coconut based sweets, that’s why you would not find any bits of coconut in my any ladoo varieties or any other sweet recipes. Recently when my MIL visited us, she brought some 10-15 coconuts and i was wondering how to clear those soon. Since Vinayaga Chaturthi is nearing, i thought to prepare Ladoo with Coconut. Though you can also prepare this ladoo with dessicated coconut, but anything made with fresh ingredients gives you good flavor. You can also add dry nuts and raisins to this.
The color of ladoo depends on the type of jaggery you use. The one i used gives dark brown color. These ladoo are very soft and will melt in your mouth. In this preparation, it is important to check the jaggery syrup consistency. We need one-string consistency here. For Kamarkat, you need hard ball consistency. I shall share the recipe of Kamarkat later. Don’t forget to check my other two sweet recipes based on Coconut, Ragi Coconut Laddu and Coconut Condensed Milk Burfi.
Coconut Jaggery Ladoo | Thengai Vellam Laddu
an easy and healthy version of Coconut Ladoo which is also Vegan.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: south indian
- 2 cup fresh grated coconut (or) dessicated coconut
- 1 and ½ cup grated jaggery (or) palm jaggery / karupati
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- ¼ cup water
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Coconut Jaggery Ladoo
- I have taken two small sized coconut and chopped the pieces. Grind them in mixer for 2-3 pulses. It will sure save you lot of time.
- Dry roast grated coconut in a pan or kadhai on low flame till nice aroma comes. Transfer coconut to a bowl and Heat jaggery with water in the same pan or kadhai.
- Always heat it on low-medium flame otherwise the syrup will start thickening before jaggery gets dissolved completely. Once jaggery is dissolved, strain it and heat again on low-medium flame.
- Heat the syrup till it reaches soft ball consistency. Then add grated coconut and cardamom powder. Stir well for another 5-8 mins till it starts leaving the sides of pan.
- Remove from the heat and let it come to lukewarm stage. Don’t let it come at room temp. Grease your palm with oil and start making round shaped ladoos. Store it an airtight container and serve.