Thinai Thaen Urundai / Foxtail Millet Honey Ladoo, a healthy and traditional ladoo variety made from Foxtail Millet, Jaggery and Honey. And also it is Vegan as we have not added ghee / clarified butter or milk.
This laddu can be prepared with just two ingredients if you want to skip jaggery. The preparation is very simple and kids would surely love it. Instead of shaping it into balls, you can just mix honey with the ground flour and serve as it is. I got the recipe from a millet cookbook.
For variations, try adding sattu maavu / health mix powder or badam milk powder. These ingredients will make it more healthy and aromatic. For the crunchy taste, add dry nuts and raisins. Make sure the honey is runny and at room temp. If you do not want to add honey, then prepare sticky jaggery syrup and mix it with flour to form balls. You can try it any way. Lets check the recipe,
Thinai Thaen Laddu | Thinai Thaen Urundai | Foxtail Millet Honey Ladoo
a healthy and traditional ladoo variety made from Foxtail Millet, Jaggery and Honey.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: south indian
- ¾ cup Thinai Arisi / Foxtail Millet – cleaned
- ½ cup grated jaggery / karupatti vellam / palm jaggery
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Thinai Honey Ladoo
- Dry roast Thinai arisi in a pan for 2-5 mins on low flame till it becomes crispy. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind it in a mixer to smooth powder or rava like consistency.
- Add grated jaggery and cardamom powder. Grind it again. Transfer the flour mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp honey at a time and crumble the flour mixture. Shape the balls / urundai using palm. Store it in an airtight container.