Besan Jaggery Ladoo (Kadalai Maavu Ladoo), a low fat and healthy Besan Ladoo, made without sugar, ghee, oil or milk. Yes it is totally a guilt free sweet which can be enjoyed without worrying about those extra calories. This year, I have been trying to totally reduce ghee and sugar in sweet preparations. Instead of fried ones, I have been trying lots of steamed or baked snacks. As Diwali is approaching fast, i have been planning to share more number of healthy sweets and savories.
I have used store-bought flour to prepare ladoo, but you can try it with fresh homemade flour which will give totally different experience. For Besan Ladoo with Sugar, check this recipe which i had shared last year.
Besan Ladoo with Sugar takes more than 30 mins to prepare, whereas this ladoo can be prepared within 20 mins. The ladoo will not melt in your mouth as we have not used ghee or any other wet binding ingredients other than jaggery syrup.
The color of ladoo depends on the type of jaggery you use. The syrup consistency is very important here. If you skip the required consistency, then you may end up with Hard Ladoo, though that will be also enjoyable 🙂 Here we need only sticky consistency. No issues even if you use syrup of one string consistency. But make sure to not burn the flour while roasting.
Besan Gud Laddu | Besan Jaggery Ladoo (Kadalai Maavu Ladoo)
a low fat and healthy Besan Ladoo, made without sugar, ghee, oil or milk.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 cup Besan / Kadalai Maavu / Bengal Gram Flour
- ¾ cup grated palm jaggery / karupatti / jaggery
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds powder
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Besan Ladoo
- Heat a non-stick pan or kadhai. Add besan flour and switch to low flame. Dry roast it for 5-8 mins. Make sure it is not burnt and doesn’t changes its color. Remove from the heat and keep aside.
- Heat jaggery and water in the same pan and heat till jaggery melts down completely. Strain the syrup and heat it again. Once the syrup becomes sticky, add roasted besan flour and cardamom powder to it. Stir it frequently till the mixture starts leaving the sides of pan.
- Remove from the heat and let it come to lukewarm stage. Don’t let it come at room temp. Grease your palm with oil and start making round shaped ladoos. Store it an airtight container and serve.
Other No Ghee & No Sugar based Ladoo Recipes,
- Jowar Dates Laddu / Cholam Maavu Ladoo
- Coconut Jaggery Ladoo / Thengai Vellam Laddu
- Thinai Thaen Laddu / Thinai Thaen Urundai / Foxtail Millet Honey Ladoo
- Saamai Arisi Ladoo / Little Millet Laddu
- Poruvalanga / Porivilangai Urundai (Multigrain Ladoo)
- Roasted Gram / Pottu Kadalai Ladoo – Without Ghee
- Verkadalai Sattu Maavu Ladoo / Peanuts & Health Mix Ladoo
- Ellu Urundai (Til Ladoo)
- Bajra & Paneer Ladoo (Pearl Millet & Cottage Cheese Ladoo)