Goan Potato Curry, a perfect coconut based curry or kurma which can be enjoyed very well with roti, parotta or any indian flat-bread. All you need to do is pour this curry over parotta and enjoy it.
I have tried many potato based curries or salna with parotta, but this specific curry touched my soul. We enjoyed this curry with Wheat Parotta on the other day. And the next day, i used some for Kothu Roti. The cooking procedure is very simple, except for the preparation of masala paste. If you prepare this curry in a pressure cooker, then it would surely save lots of time.
I referred “Restaurant style Curries” cookbook by Tarla Dalal. Don’t forget to checkout the recipe of Potato Kurma for Idli / Dosa. Lets check the recipe,
Goan Potato Curry
a perfect coconut based curry or kurma which can be enjoyed very well with roti, parotta or any indian flat-bread.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Goan, Indian
- For Curry :
- 2-3 Potatoes – boiled, peeled & diced into cubes
- 1 medium sized tomato – pureed
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- asofoetida – a pinch
- For Masala Paste :
- 1 onion – chopped
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp poppy seeds / khus-khus
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 3-4 dry red chilies
- ½ cup chopped coconut
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 4 peppercorns
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Goan Potato Curry
To Prepare Masala Paste :
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Add poppy seeds, cloves and cinnamon. Then add broken red chilies and peppercorns. Saute a while.
- Add coriander seeds and stir well. Add chopped onions and coconut. Cook for 2-5 mins till nice aroma comes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Grind it in a mixer along with ginger-garlic paste to smooth paste. Add enough water while grinding. Transfer the paste to a bowl.
To Prepare Curry :
- Heat 1 or 2 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Fry diced potato cubes for a while. Add ground paste, turmeric powder and asofoetida. Stir well and add 1 cup water.
- Mix well everything and cook for 2-5 mins. Add tomato puree and 1 or 2 cup water according to your need. Now, Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles. Remove from the heat and let the pressure settle down. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice or any indian flat bread like roti, chapati or parotta.