Kollu Chutney / Horsegram Chutney, a healthy kongu style chutney recipe which can be enjoyed with idli, dosa or rice. I don’t often make this chutney, since we like Kollu Rasam more than this. Horsegram possess many health benefits like helps in weight loss, lowers cholesterol, good for diabetic and many more.
The kollu thogaiyal recipe is also same except for few ingredients which are not necessary like onions, tamarind and dal. Try it any way, you will surely love its taste. It tastes similar to Peanut Chutney. If you are looking for other Kollu based recipes then do check, Kollu Sundal & Kollu Nookal Kurma.
Kollu Chutney | Horsegram Chutney
a healthy kongu style chutney recipe which can be enjoyed with idli, dosa or rice.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Chutney, Side
Cuisine: South Indian
- ¼ cup Kollu / Horsegram / Ulava – cleaned
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 4-5 pearl onions / sambar vengayam (or) 1 medium sized onion – chopped
- 2-3 garlic flakes
- small lemon sized tamarind ball
- 1 tsp urad dal / ultham paruppu / black gram
- 1 tsp channa dal / kadala paruppu / bengal gram
- 3-4 dry red chilies – according to your need
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Kollu Chutney
- Dry roast kollu in a pan or kadhai till nice aroma comes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Heat 1 tsp oil in pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add urad dal, channa dal and broken red chilies.
- Saute a while. Add chopped onions and garlic flakes. Cook for a min. Add grated coconut and tamarind. Cook for 2 mins. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Grind roasted kollu in a mixer to coarse powder. Grind all the roasted ingredients along with kollu powder to smooth paste. Add enough water while grinding. Transfer the paste to a bowl.
- Add salt to taste and mix well. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Tamper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add this tempering to chutney. Serve with rice, idli or dosa.