Mohanthal / Besan Burfi / Kadalai Maavu Barfi, a traditional Gujrati sweet made from gram flour, milk, ghee and sugar. Adding Mawa / Milk Solids is optional. You can even replace it with condensed milk. I wanted to try this traditional sweet for a long while. I have referred Nisha Madhulika‘s site for cooking procedure and got the measurements from a regional language cookbook.
Initially i was hesitant to try this as the whole procedure seemed bit complicated. But after referring her YouTube video, made up my mind to try immediately. I made Mawa at home and used half of the quantity to prepare this burfi. And with remaining half, prepared Baked Mawa Gujia.
For last year’s Diwali, i tried Mysore Pak and for this year, its Mohanthal :). Still one more month to go for Diwali, but i couldn’t wait more to try this delicious sweet. For south Indians, Mysore Pak is like a delicacy which is prepared with the same ingredients with which we prepare Mohanthal except for few.
a traditional Gujarati sweet made from gram flour, milk, ghee and sugar.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 cup Besan / Gram Flour / Kadalai Maavu
- 1 cup Sugar
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp milk
- ½ cup ghee / clarified butter
- ½ cup plain mawa / khoya (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- sliced almonds & pista – for garnishing
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Mohanthal
- Sieve besan and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add cardamom powder, 2 tbsp ghee and make crumbles of flour. Add 2 tbsp milk and knead well. We do not want dough. Just knead well and break the crumbles with fingers. Keep the mixture closed.
- Prepare sugar syrup by heating sugar and water in a pan. Once sugar is completely dissolved, change the flame to medium. Stir the syrup till it reaches one string consistency.
- Take a drop of syrup and check it between your thumb and fore-finger. Once it forms a single thread, switch off the flame and keep the syrup aside. This may probably take 8-10 mins.
- Heat remaining ghee in a kadai or non-stick pan. Add prepared besan mixture to it and stir well. Cook it for 5 mins on medium flame till nice aroma comes.
- Add crumbled mawa to this and stir again for another 3-5 mins. Now, Add the prepared sugar syrup to this mixture carefully. Stir everything well and add few of the sliced nuts. Preserve some for later garnishing.
- Stir well and let it cook till the mixture becomes thick and starts leaving the sides of the pan. Cook on low-medium flame. For me it took around 15 mins to reach barfi stage. Now remove from the heat and let it sit for 2 mins.
- Meanwhile, grease a tray or plate with little ghee. Pour the mixture over greased tray or plate. Spread it evenly and sprinkle preserved sliced nuts. Press them and keep aside for 20-30 mins. Cut into square pieces or any shapes you like. Store in an airtight container and serve.
Other Diwali Sweets / Savories Recipes using Besan / Kadalai Maavu,