Mudakathan Keerai Puli Kuzhambu, a spicy and tangy tamarind based curry made from herbal green leaf paste. Mudakathan Keerai is very healthy similar to other green leaves. I have previously shared Mudakathan Keerai Dosa and Millets Kara Paniyaram.
I got this recipe from keerai seller lady few months back and was waiting to try it. Instead of grinding the leaves, you can also add chopped Keerai to this curry. I didn’t add coconut here, but you can try adding it to get creamy curry. Lets check the recipe,
Mudakathan Keerai Kara Kuzhambu
a spicy and tangy tamarind based curry made from herbal green leaf paste.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South Indian
- 1 cup Mudakathan Keerai / Balloon Vine Leaves – cleaned & washed
- 2 onions – finely chopped
- 1 tomato – finely chopped
- small lemon sized tamarind ball – soaked in 1 cup water for 30 mins
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp sambar powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Mudakathan Keerai Kuzhambu
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Fry keerai till all the moisture is absorbed. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind it in a mixer to smooth paste adding 1 tsp water.
- Heat 2 or 3 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and cook for a min on low flame.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while. Now, Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Add turmeric powder, sambar powder and coriander powder. Stir well.
- Add tamarind pulp squeezed water and salt to taste. Cook for 2 mins on low-medium flame. Add 2 cup water and Cook it covered on low flame for 10 mins.
- Add Keerai Paste and cook for another 10 mins or till the curry thickens. Remove from the heat and serve hot with rice or idli.