Thinai Idli / Foxtail Millet Idli, a regular idli recipe with a slight variation. Instead of raw rice, I have used Thinai Arisi / Foxtail Millet. You can also use brown rice or any other millets as a combination to prepare this healthy idli recipe. You can use the same batter to prepare Dosa, if that is the case, then grind 1/2 tsp soaked fenugreek seeds along with other ingredients.
I don’t often prepare Idli or Dosa, but since we have started including Millets in our daily meal, i am looking for all the possible options to include it like Idli, Dosa, Paniyaram, Kanji, Pulao, Desserts etc.. The other two recipes which i have tried with thinai arisi are Thinai Honey Ladoo & Millets Kara Paniyaram. To know, how to prepare idli batter using grinder, don’t forget to check this post.
Thinai Idli | Foxtail Millet Idli
a regular idli recipe with a slight variation.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main, Breakfast
Cuisine: South Indian
- 1 cup Thinai Arisi / Foxtail Millet – cleaned
- 1 cup Idli Rice
- salt to taste
- 1 cup Urad Dal / Ultham Paruppu / Black Gram
- Pleas follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Thinai Idli
- Soak thinai and idli rice together in enough water overnight. Similarly soak idli rice in water overnight.
- Next day, wash rice and dal separately. Grind urad dal in a grinder or mixer. I used mixer to grind. If using mixer, then grind them in batches to smooth batter.
- Now grind thinai and idli rice together in batches adding enough water to smooth batter. Mix dal and rice batter together and keep it closed.
- Leave it for fermentation which may take around 5-6 hrs or may vary depending on the room temperature. Add salt to the batter. Add water to make idli batter consistency.
- Take a ladle full of batter and pour in greased idli plates and steam-cook for 10-15 mins on medium flame. Serve them hot with chutney or sambar.
Serving Suggestions (any of these) : Coconut Pottukadalai Chutney, Potato Kurma, Chicken Kurma, Bombay Sambar, Tiffin Sambar.
Other Varieties of Idli & Recipes prepared with Left Overs :