To know more about this healthy leaf, check Thoothuvalai Thuvaiyal recipe. Though i have prepared this rasam like any other rasam varieties, it still gives an unique flavor. You can even add 2 tbsp mashed toor dal to it. I had also shared Palak Dal Rasam, Sirukeerai (Amaranth) Soup & Red Amaranths & Carrot Soup (Thandu Keerai Carrot Soup). Lets check the recipe,
- 1 cup chopped thoothuvalai keerai / Solanum trilobatum leaves
- small lemon sized tamarind ball
- 1 tomato
- 3 garlic flakes
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 3 dry red chilies
- asofoetida – a pinch
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 stick curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Keerai Rasam
- Soak tamarind and tomato in 2 cup water for 30 mins. Later, squeeze both tamarind pulp and tomato and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil / ghee in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds, curry leaves and dry red chilies. Add cumin seeds and garlic flakes. Saute a while.
- Add asofoetida and pepper powder. Saute a while. Add chopped leaves and turmeric powder. Cook for 2-3 mins.
- Once raw smell goes, add tamarind-tomato squeezed water and salt to taste. Add more water if needed and let it boil. Garnish with chopped coriander and remove from the heat. Serve it with rice.