Varagu Semiya Sabja Seeds Payasam / Semiya Falooda Seeds Kheer, an aromatic payasam made with millet semiya, sweet basil seeds, milk and palm jaggery. To make this kheer more healthy, i have added palm jaggery and millet semiya. For vegan version, try this kheer with coconut milk.
I have referred Dassana‘s space for the tips on Sabja Seeds / Falooda Seeds. She has very explained about it and also its health benefits. Instead of millet semiya, which requires too many steps to cook, you can try this payasam with regular roasted vermicelli. Always add Sabja seeds at the end, to retain its aroma. And since we have used jaggery syrup, the milk will curdle a bit, so don’t get panic. To avoid it to some extent, we are adding syrup after removing kheer from the heat.
If you want to avoid jaggery, then replace it with sugar or condensed milk. But it will totally change the taste as each has got its own unique flavor. Try this kheer with any sweetening ingredient of your choice. I would prefer to serve this cold. Lets check the recipe,
Varagu Semiya & Sabja Seeds Payasam
an aromatic payasam made with millet semiya, sweet basil seeds, milk and palm jaggery.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Dessert
- 500 ml Boiled Milk
- ¾ cup Varagu Semiya / Kodo Millet Vermicelli
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1-2 tbsp Sabja Seeds / Sweet Basil Seeds / Falooda Seeds
- ½ cup Karupatti Vellam / Palm Jaggery
- Nuts and Raisins – to garnish
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Varagu Semiya Payasam
- Soak falooda seeds in enough water for 30 mins. The seeds will absorb water quickly, so make sure to add more water.
- Heat 3 cup water and allow to boil for a min. Add little salt to it and remove from the heat. Now, add semiya and close the lid. Do not disturb it for 2 mins. Now, drain the water completely and keep semiya aside.
- Take idli cooker and fill with water as we do to steam idli. Take the idli plates and spread semiya over the plates. Steam cook semiya for 5 mins.
- Transfer the cooked semiya to a plate and keep aside. Heat jaggery and 1/4 cup water in a pan. Cook till jaggery melts. Strain the syrup and keep it aside.
- Heat milk for a min. Add semiya and cardamom powder. Stir well. Let it cook for 5-8 mins.
- Add drained falooda seeds and stir well. Remove from the heat and add jaggery syrup to payasam. Stir well. You can either garnish with roasted nuts and raisins or serve it hot / cold.