Pearl Onion / Baby Onion ka Salan – without Tomato, this curry is spicy and tangy and flavorful as we have added peanuts and sesame seeds. Jaggery gives a light sweet touch to the curry. I have referred Vahchef site for the recipe. Though this curry takes time to cook, but its worth to try, best when served with roti or biriyani / pulao.
If you want to serve this with biriyani, then make it little thick. Everyone would be busy with Sweets & Snacks preparation, so why don’t you try this recipe for Diwali Lunch. Prepare this as a side dish for Chicken / Mutton Biriyani and impress your family. Lets check the recipe,
Baby Onion ka Salan
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South Indian
- For Curry :
- 15-20 pearl onions / sambar vengayam
- 1 medium sized onion – finely sliced
- ¼ cup tamarind water
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 3 dry red chilies
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp grated jaggery or sugar
- ¼ tsp methi dhana / vendayam / fenugreek seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 1 stick curry leaves
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- To Roast & Grind :
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds / til
- one tbsp chopped coconut or unsweetened dessicated coconut
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Baby Onion ka Salan
- Dry roast peanuts, sesame seeds and coconut on low-medium flame till nice aroma comes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind it in a mixer to smooth paste adding 1 tbsp water. Keep this paste aside.
- Heat 1 or 2 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds, broken red chilies and cumin seeds. Add fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. Saute a while.
- Add sliced onion and cook for a min on low flame. Now, Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while. Add turmeric powder, chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and ground paste.
- Mix well everything and add 1-2 cup water. Cook it covered on low flame for 20-25 mins. Add mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Mix well. Add tamarind water, jaggery and salt to taste. Cook it covered for another 10 mins. Add pearl onions and salt if needed. Cook it covered for 10-15 mins or till the curry thickens a bit. Or if you need a thin curry then add 1 cup water and cook. Serve this curry with roti, paratha, parotta, rice or biriyani.