Pottukadalai Poondu Murukku / Garlic Chakli, garlic flavored Murukku made from rice flour. This is an another interesting variety which has got unique flavor. I have used green chilies, but you can even use red chili powder. Adjust the level of spice according to your need. I have prepared murukku with round swirls (mullu murukku) and also like thenkuzhal murukku.
I have mentioned few points to prepare rice flour and urad flour in “Notes” section. Do check it below. This variety is simple to prepare like any other Rice Flour Murukku. Just prepare Rice flour and Urad dal Flour in advance. If you want to store the flours for later use, then do roast the flours and store in an airtight container. Lets check the recipe,
- 4 cup Rice Flour (for better results, use homemade flour)
- 1 cup Urad Dal Flour / ultham paruppu / black gram
- ½ cup pottukadalai / roasted gram / chutney gram
- 3 garlic cloves – flakes removed
- 8-10 green chilies – according to your need
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp hot oil
- warm water for kneading
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Poondu Pottukadalai Murukku
- Grind pottukadalai to smooth powder and keep aside. Similarly, grind garlic flakes and green chilies together to smooth paste.
- Combine rice flour, urad dal flour, garlic-chili paste, pottukadalai powder, asofoetida and salt in a wide mixing bowl.
- Add enough warm water and knead to smooth dough. Sprinkle hot oil and knead again. Close it and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan or kadai on low flame. Take murukku press and fill it with portion of dough. Press it on a newspaper in circular motion to either make thenkuzhal shape or mullu murruku shape. Prepare it till oil gets hot.
- To check oil, drop a pinch of dough in oil and it should come up immediately. Change the flame to low-medium and deep fry murukku in batches.
- Fry till it turns golden brown and oil sizzling sound stops. Remove carefully from oil and drain the excess oil using an absorbent tissue paper. Store in an airtight container and serve.
- To prepare Rice Flour, wash raw rice and drain the water completely. Spread rice on a newspaper or cloth and allow it to completely dry. Grind rice in a mixer to a fine powder and sieve the flour on a newspaper. Grind it again till you get fine rava like flour (It should not be very smooth and not too coarse). If you want to prepare rice flour in large quantity, then give the raw rice to a mill for grinding and then dry roast the flour and store in an air-tight container.
- To prepare Urad Dal flour, Dry roast urad dal and remove from the heat. Grind it in a mixer to smooth powder.
- You can also add soaked til / sesame seeds and moong dal / siru paruppu.