Crispy Butter Murukku Recipe, a crispy and buttery murukku made from rice flour and besan. Murukku is one of our fav snack which we make often with different variations. But, i never tried adding besan. I saw this recipe in one of my Tamil cookbook and made slight variations.
This recipe was in my to do list of Diwali Savories, but couldn’t make it. Its raining here for past few days, so I got my chance to prepare this and enjoy the rain 🙂
I had previously shared Maida Murukku, Ring Murukku, Mullu Murukku, Thenkuzhal Murukku, Ragi Cholam Murukku and Poondu Pottukadalai Murukku. Initially, I was planning to bake this murukku, but my husband is not that keen on baked indian snacks. This recipe is very easy and yields 30 Murukku for the below mentioned quantity. You can also replace butter with ghee or dalda. For additional and crunchy flavors, try adding sesame seeds or ground peanuts. Lets check the recipe,
Crispy Butter Murukku
a crispy and buttery murukku made from rice flour and besan.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Snacks
- 2 cup Rice Flour (for better results, use homemade flour)
- ½ cup Urad Dal Flour / ultham paruppu maavu / black gram
- ½ cup Besan Flour / Kadalai Maavu / Bengal Gram Flour
- 2 tbsp Butter – at room temperature
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- asofoetida / hing – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1-2 tbsp hot oil
- warm water to knead
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Crispy Butter Murukku
- Roast besan flour for a min and remove from the heat. Combine besan, rice flour, urad dal flour, chili powder, asofoetida and salt in a wide mixing bowl.
- Add butter and make crumbles. Add enough warm water and knead to smooth dough. Sprinkle hot oil and knead again. Close it and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan or kadai on low flame. Take murukku press and fill it with portion of dough. Press it on a newspaper in circular motion to either make thenkuzhal shape or mullu murruku shape. Prepare it till oil gets hot.
- To check oil, drop a pinch of dough in oil and it should come up immediately. Change the flame to low-medium and deep fry murukku in batches. Fry till it turns golden brown and oil sizzling sound stops. Remove carefully from oil and drain the excess oil using an absorbent tissue paper. Store in an airtight container and serve.
- To prepare Rice Flour, wash raw rice and drain the water completely. Spread rice on a newspaper or cloth and allow it to completely dry. Grind rice in a mixer to a fine powder and sieve the flour on a newspaper. Grind it again till you get fine rava like flour (It should not be very smooth and not too coarse). If you want to prepare rice flour in large quantity, then give the raw rice to a mill for grinding and then dry roast the flour and store in an air-tight container.
- To prepare Urad Dal flour, Dry roast urad dal and remove from the heat. Grind it in a mixer to smooth powder.