Sirudhaniyam Sattu Maavu / Mixed Millets Flour Recipe, just like multi-grain powder, millets powder is good for health if taken in moderation.
I store this powder in refrigerator and use it for 3-4 months. You can use this flour to prepare Kanji / Porridge, Instant Adai, Roti, Idiyappam, Puttu, Ladoo and many more. Other than millets, you can also make use of other grains like wheat, oats, dry fruits, peanuts, etc to prepare this health mix powder.
I referred this recipe from a Tamil cookbook which i borrowed from an organic store. With the below mentioned quantity, you will get around 500 gms of Flour, which can be either prepared using mixer or grind it in a mill. If using a mixer, then it will surely take half an hour to prepare the powder. Since, we are going to need fine powder, you have to grind them in batches, sieve it and again grind till you get fine powder consistency.
Recently, I read an article, where they have stated that regular consumption of Millets may affect your thyroid level. It is always better to have Millets in moderation. Too much of healthy food is always bad 🙂 To know more about this article, please check here. It is always advisable to include all kind of grains (rice, wheat, barley, oats) in your diet and in moderate.
I often get queries from my readers, to know if they can give health mix powder to their babies. My humble request would be to always consult the pediatrician before introducing any new food to their babies.
Millets Health Mix Powder
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Basics
Cuisine: South Indian
- 1 cup Ragi / Finger Millet
- 1 cup Bajra / Kambu / Pearl Millet
- ½ cup Brown Rice
- 1 cup Saamai / Little Millet
- 1 cup Thinai / Foxtail Millet
- 5-6 Green Cardamom
- 1 cup Kuthiravaali / Barnyard Millet
- 1 cup Varagu / Kodo Millet
- ¼ cup Green Gram (Payatham Paruppu / Moong Dal)
- 1 cup Cholam / Jowar / Sorghum
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Millets Health Mix Powder
- Clean Ragi, Bajra and all other millets from any dust or stone. Dry roast all the ingredients separately.
- Each ingredient takes its own time to roast. Make sure to not burn. Roast it on low flame. The overall time for roasting was 20-30 mins. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Once it is completely cool, grind it in a mixer to smooth powder. You can use mixer for small quantity, but for large quantity it would be better to grind in a mill.
- Allow the powder to cool down completely, mix 1 or 2 tsp salt and then store it in an airtight container.