Rice & Coconut Milk Halwa, a Kerala special halwa made with rice flour, coconut milk and jaggery. This process takes about 30-40 mins, but its all worth. These halwa will melt in mouth as they are very soft and flavored with ghee, which makes it more rich.
One of my malayali friend mom would serve this halwa on the day of Christmas and I was looking for this recipe for past 2 years. I have referred “Kerala Essential Cookbook“. The original recipe calls for 1 kg rice flour, but I have reduced the quantities according to our requirement. With the below mentioned quantity, you would get around 20-25 halwa squares.
I have reduced jaggery quantity to 1 and 1/2 cup. The color of halwa depends upon the type of jaggery used. It is similar to Black Halwa / Karutha Halva. You can replace jaggery with sugar.
Other Halwa Recipes shared in my blog,
- Pumpkin & Condensed Milk Halwa / Kaddu Halwa
- Sweet Potato Pudding / Shakarkand Halwa / Sakkaravalli Kizhangu Halwa
- Wheat / Godhumai Halwa (Tirunelveli Halwa)
- Beetroot Dates Halwa – Using Mawa / Khoa
- Apple Lapsi (Apple & Broken Wheat Halwa)
- Tomato Halwa / Thakkali Halwa
- Bread Halwa – using Sugar Syrup
- Peach Kesari / Halwa (Semolina & Peach Pudding)
- Mango Halwa
- Vazhaipazham Halwa / Banana Halwa
- Kasi Halwa / Poosnikkai Halwa / Pumpkin Halwa
- Badam Halwa
- Carrot Halwa
- Oats Bread Halwa
- Maida Halwa
Rice & Coconut Milk Halwa Recipe
a Kerala special halwa made with rice flour, coconut milk and jaggery.
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: South Indian
- 1 cup roasted rice flour (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 cup grated jaggery / palm jaggery / karupatti
- 1 cup thick coconut milk (1st extract)
- 3 cup thin coconut milk (2nd and 3rd extract)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp rose water or rose essence
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds powder
- 3-4 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- Please follow the instructions below.
How to prepare Rice Coconut Milk Halwa
- Take a non stick pan and add jaggery, 3 cup thin coconut milk to it. Mix well and add rice flour. Stir well and make sure there are no lumps.
- Heat this pan and stir continuously. Once rice flour is completely dissolved, it starts to form thick porridge. Now add 1 cup thick coconut milk.
- Stir continuously and add 1 tbsp ghee. Add cardamom powder, salt and rose essence. Stir well everything. Keep the flame to low-medium and keep stirring.
- Keep stirring for around 30-40 mins and add 1 tbsp ghee when halwa starts sticking to the sides of pan.
- It took around 30 mins to reach halwa consistency, at this stage halwa starts leaving the sides of pan and ghee separates. When you take a tbsp of halwa, it should not stick and you should be able to roll it into ball.If you want to add cashew, then add at this stage and stir well. Remove from the heat and keep aside.
- Take a greased plate and pour this mixture. Level the top and keep it aside for 1 hour. Cut it into desired shapes and serve.